Saturday, September 29, 2007

(#1,#2,#3) Learning

I've finally found some quiet time and am registering for ihcpl so I can learn 23 things + some. I've always been curious and have always been self-motivated to learn. I like to learn a little bit about lots of things. That's probably why I became a librarian and previously studied journalism in school. I could always ask why, why, why--like a five-year-old--and learn something new from whomever I interviewed, or whatever I researched.

I'm more of a right brain thinker, so when it comes to technical things, I do need lots of quiet time and space to figure it out. I usually have to draw it out to understand it. I'm more creative than analytical, and definitely more of a visual learner than an auditory learner. I need to continuously practice my listening skills. My friends might say I often interrupt people...but I blame it on growing up in a big family with loud people!

I'm motivated to participate in ihcpl 2.0--mostly because I like bling :). Actually, I've needed to catch up with the world and get on board with blogging, RSSing, YouTubing and other techie things defined by acronyms. But, I am still old fashioned at heart and would rather write a letter on stationary, or hold a book in my hand and read it.

However, I do understand how ginormous the information world is, and how great the freedom and opportunity to access that world is. So, learning about all the tools out there gives us all more options--choices--to communicate with each other. In addition to learning how to use them technically, we should also learn how to use them effectively, and take great care that we don't overuse them.

No comments: